GLOBAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
Note: This form is used in all Wiley locations. Please fill in all fields below.
Position Title: Snr Manager, Real Estate & Facilities – Sri Lanka
Business Unit: Occupancy
Reports To: Director, Real Estate & Facilities, Asia Pacific
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Budget/Revenue Responsibility: Yes (US$900,000)
Number of Reports, Direct: 2 Indirect: 2
Contract Length (If Applicable): N/A
Date: April 2019
POSITION SUMMARY (To describe in general the purpose, duties and responsibilities of the position)
This position is responsible for real estate and facilities for Wiley locations across the India subcontinent. This includes locations in Noida, New Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune and future growth locations across the Indian subcontinent. The properties include a combination of leased offices, warehouses, serviced offices and other potential buildings. (55,000 sqft leased office & warehouse space, US$0.9Mil budget responsibility) Managing a team comprises of a Manager (Asst Mgr - Admin and Travel) and other junior staff (3 – TBC), and supported by other on-site business coordinators, the Incumbent will focus on Facility Construction Project Management over the facilities’ life- cycle which includes new builds (design & construction), renovation, reinstatement and future return of facility spaces. Responsible for Facilities Management and ensuring the inspection, maintenance and repair of all mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and air-conditioning systems (HVAC/VAV) to ensure optimal operating results throughout the facilities across locations, in full compliance with local and federal regulations. Oversee Office Services in ensuring a safe, conducive work environment for Wiley colleagues and guest, working with global Facility colleagues and in alignment with company policies & practices. Key responsibilities include Front Desk, conference facilities, business travel and hotel management, Workplace Health & Safety (WHS), Records Management, Business Continuity Planning (BCP) and other office responsibilities and services. Key practices include managing regular fire drills and establish fire and evacuation team in ensuring each location is equipped and ready for any contingency. Uphold Wiley governance and compliance to company policies, the incumbent will work with all vendors and ensure all contracts follow Wiley Global Procurement practices and policies. Work under the direction of the Real Estate Director Asia Pacific, providing support on Property Leasing matters and serve as liaison with landlords concerning lease negotiations, lease renewals, space renovation, improvements and repairs, lastly reinstatement and surrender. Perform Reporting Responsibilities for the India subcontinent on office services, travel management and facilities as part of Asia Pacific region, to the offices in Singapore and Headquarters as required. The incumbent will be well-organised and able to optimise Wiley resources with focus on managing the Budget and cost effectively use of resources and capital. The incumbent must have the Technical Ability to understand building electrical and mechanical systems and diagrams as well as construction documents and architectural drawings in support of work responsibilities necessary to fit out typical leased spaces.
PROFESSIONAL SCOPE OF ROLE (Choose from the descriptions included on the guidance notes the definition that best describes the professional scope of the position. Note: This description, when considered within the context of the overall position description, will enable HR to understand where the position fits into the organizational hierarchy, and will facilitate external benchmarking the role in the local market.)
A managerial position responsible for managing professional and supervisors. Controls the work within a major department or a specialised function and is accountable for the performance and results of the team. Operates within established policies and procedures but adapts departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges. Receives guidance from senior manager or director. (position at Wiley internal M2 level)
MAJOR ACTIVITIES (List the activities that the person is responsible for)
EXPECTED END RESULT (Why is it done?)
1. Facility Project Management Responsible for the construction life-cycle of Wiley locations, includes new builds, renovation and reinstatement and the associated capital outlays and expense are completed on time and within budget align to corporate policy and practices.
Provide safe, comfortable facility necessary to promote heathy, sustainable and motivated workplace that meets expansion and reduction plans and staffing levels of the company.
2. Facilities Management manage and coordinate the delivery of all FM and workplace services, including utility consumption analysis and conservation. Includes safety, comfort and security for Wiley staff and visitors. Manage all service contracts and vendors including cleaning, repairs, maintenance, engineering, etc. Manage facility procedures and equipment for regular inspection and maintenance. Engage with vendors to provide services to increase equipment longevity and sustainability. (Life Cycle Asset Management) Security: C*Cure Tyco office access system
Provide excellence in office facilities serving our employees and visitors, in support of our corporate values. Provide a safe comfortable and conducive work environment, excellent ancillary business services necessary to promote a healthy motivated workplace. Ensure service vendors operate within Wiley and landlord guidelines in each location as prescribed in the leases and address required 3rd party risk management. Prevent equipment failure and loss. Ensure all systems and equipment perform to expectation. Provide necessary study on vendor contracts to ensure proper compliance and ROI.
3. Office Services Management (Reception, Travel/Hotel) Well-organized daily operations of the front office (reception, conference facilities, office supplies) within the resources of the department. Ensure efficient business travel and hotel administration for Wiley colleagues travelling to, within and outside of India.
Represent Wiley with a positive and friendly image to colleagues, customers, partners and guest. Ensure we support all Wiley activities by creating a conducive, safe, collaborative work environment within our available resources. Working with our travel and hotel vendors, we aim to maximise the comfort and safety of colleagues while on business travel, within the scope of Wiley budgets and travel policies.
4. Leadership of Facilities teams across Indian Subcontinent. Under the guidance of the Director RE & Facilities Asia Pac, to include: regular reviews of performance, understand HR policies & procedures, training and coaching, developing and recruitment of team members.
All aspects of people management to be completed effectively and efficiently to allow for best possible results from the team. Team members are clear as to what is to be achieved, how and by when, that they feel supported in their individual career growth and development.
5. Liaison with local Wiley India & global key stakeholders on daily operations of the sites and on FM related projects and initiatives across the India Subcontinent.
Ensure FM projects are in line with corporate goals and strategies. Create measurable metrics and appropriate reporting tools to define results.
6. Financial Management Prepare, plan, review, maintain and adhere to operating and CAPEX budgets which prudently use capital to achieve business objectives. Recommend, implement and maintain Policies and Procedures which uphold the corporate standards of operation.
A budget which effectively allocates resources to accomplish short and long-term objectives. A Policy and Procedure that outlines what is expected of the staff according to the company’s standards of operation.
7. Liaison Responsibilities across Asia Liaison with regional Wiley colleagues on matters concerning office Corp Insurance, facilities and travel management.
Inform and obtain instructions and information with regional Wiley offices across Asia on matters concerning corporate insurance office services, office equipment and facilities.
8. Global Projects Contribute to global objectives from the Global Operations group. (FY19-FY20) include:
• BCP (Business Continuity Planning)
Contribute to global projects by representing Wiley Asia on work deliverables, conference call discussions.
• eStorage / Records Management
9. Ad Hoc Projects Responsible for executing ad hoc projects informed by the Director of the department. (5%)
Expected result to be developed on ad hoc basis.
Education Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, architecture, real estate or related discipline.
Advance degree in any of these areas.
Prior Experience / Industry or Other
7+ years directing Facility and Office Services functions. Global MNC experience in a forward-looking industry.
10+ years directing Facility and Office Services functions.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Characteristics
Understand facility project planning and construction, space planning, commercial serviced offices. Proficient in understanding Mechanical and Electrical drawings, building maintenance system operations, reading architectural drawings. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
Exceptional project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously. AutoCad/Visio, C*Cure security system,
Core Competencies: Collaboration
- Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives - Represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas - Partners with others to get work done - Credits others for their contribution and accomplishments - Gains trust and support of others
- Models collaboration across the organization - Facilitates an open dialogue with a wide variety of contributors and stakeholders - Balances own interests with others' Promotes high visibility of shared contributions to goals
Core Competencies: Results Orientation
- Has a strong bottom-line orientation - Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks - Has a track record or exceeding goals successfully - Pushes self and helps others achieve results
- Sets aggressive goals and has high standards - Is consistently one of the top performers - Pursues everything with energy, drive , and the need to finish - Persists in the face of challenges and setbacks - Always keeps the end in sight, puts in extra effort to meet deadlines
Core Competencies: Ensuring Accountability
- Follows through on commitments and makes sure others do the same - Acts with a clear sense of ownership - Takes personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and failures - Establishes clear responsibilities and processes for monitoring work and measuring results - Designs feedback loops into work
- Assumes responsibility for the outcome of others - Promotes a sense of urgency and establishes and enforces individual accountability in the team - Works with people to establish explicit performance standards - Is completely on top of what is going on and knows where things stand - Provides balanced feedback at the most critical times
Core Competencies: Effective Problem Solving
- Asks the right questions to accurately analyse situations - Acquires data from multiple and diverse sources when solving problems - Uncovers root causes to difficult problems - Evaluates pros and cons, risks and benefits of different solution options
- Readily distinguishes between what's relevant and what is unimportant to make sense of complex situations - Looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers - Analyses multiple and diverse sources of information to define problems accurately before moving to solutions
Core Competencies: Decision Quality
- Makes sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information - Relies on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement when making decisions - Considers all relevant factors and uses
- Decisively makes high-quality decisions, even when based on incomplete information or in the face of uncertainty - Actively seeks input from pertinent sources to make timely and well-informed decisions - Skilfully separates opinions from facts
appropriate decision-making criteria and principles - Recognises when a quick 80% solution will suffice
- Is respected by others for displaying superior judgement
Additional: Build Effective Teams
- Structures the work so it aligns with people's goals and motivators - Empowers others Makes each person feel his/her contributions are important - Invites input and shares ownership and visibility - Shows a clear connection between people's motivators and the organizational goals
- Creates a positive and motivating work environment - Knows what motivates different people and aligns work accordingly -Gives others appropriate latitude to get work done - Invites input from others - Makes people feel that their contributions a visible and valued
Additional: Develops Talent
- Places a high priority on developing others - Developing others through coaching, feedback, exposure and stretch assignments - Aligns employee career development goals with organizational objectives - Encourages people to accept developmental moves
- Views talent development as an organizational imperative - Consistently uses multiple methods to develop others - Stays alert for developmental assignments both inside and outside own workgroup - Readily articulates the value and benefit or stretch assignments to others
Language Requirements English / Hindi Other local Indian languages / dialects as possible
Manage office facilities by daily walk inspection. No aversion to hands-on work with the Team.
Other Requirements / Competencies Some travel is expected to regional locations
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (To be included in all Position Descriptions – Audit requirement)
Health & Safety
• Comply with, and make positive contribution to, all company policy, rules and procedures for Health & Safety and current H&S legislation and best practice.
• Ensure that all colleagues within own area of responsibility know, understand and comply with all company policy, rules and procedures for Health & Safety and current H&S legislation and best practice.
• Know and understand the controls and processes in own area.
• Identify any changes during the year, which might affect existing controls or require new controls. Ensure that documentation is updated accordingly.
• Ensure that any control owners who report to you are aware of their responsibility as control owners to carry out controls and retain documented evidence.
• Notify senior management as soon as possible if controls are not being performed timely.
• As requested by the Company, perform an annual assessment (test) of controls based upon management's guidance and retain all supporting documents evidencing it.
• Ensure that own team are aware of all the processes and controls in my area and their relevance both to them and to the business.
• Assist as required in the annual audit process with KPMG. Notify senior management if any misconduct is noted.
Facilities (Asia Pac)
Snr Manager Real
Facilities - India
Asst Mgr/Exec (based in Colombo)
Asst Manager (Admin and
Travel) (based in
* If the individual has a dual reporting line, or a functional / operational reporting line, please include both managers.